So often people let their imaginations run away with them. They think that they are the only people EVER that have had a clutter problem. I am often asked, “Is this the worst you have ever seen?” and it never is as bad as they think. But it is so hard to measure yourself against others since the degree of clutter is relative to your situation and your space.
I developed a list of questions to help people indentify themselves and their clutter challenges. Answer each question honestly to see if clutter presents a big challenge to you.
- Have you ever bought something you already owned because you could not find it?
- Do you have more than one junk drawer?
- Are you saving the box your newest small appliance can in?
- Do you store books in boxes?
- Do you use more than one calendar?
- Can you see the top of your desk?
- Do you have trouble figuring out what to wear even though your closet is full of clothes?
- Do you rent a storage unit?
- Do you have craft supplies in more than one room of your house?
- Can you easily find an extension cord in your home?
- Do you store sports equipment in more than one area in your home?
- Do you keep junk mail for weeks or even months at a time?
- Have you had services of any kind cut off because you lost the bill?
- Do you own more plastic containers than would fit into your refrigerator/freezer at one time?
- Are you saving baby clothes and toys that your children outgrew years ago?
- Do you keep things that you do not like, just because they were a gift?
- Do you own shoes that hurt your feet?
- Do you have mail order catalogs dating back several seasons?
- Have you missed an important event because you misplaced the invitation?
- Do you store tools in more than one area of your home?
- Do you have old prescriptions or outdated over-the-counter remedies in your medicine cabinet?
- Have you ever washed clean clothes because they got mixed with dirty clothes?
- Do you replace your holiday decorations each year because it is too difficult to locate last years?
- Do you have a pile of things that need mending, cleaned or repairs?
- Is your garage so full that there is no room for the car?
- Do you store things in shopping bags on the floor?
- Is the clutter in your life so overwhelming that you do not know where to begin?
If you answered “yes” to less than 5 questions you are keeping clutter at bay.
If you answered “yes” to between 5 and 13 questions, clutter may have become an issue in your life.
If you answered “yes” to more than 13 questions, you are living in the chaos that clutter creates.