If you want one of the most stressful jobs on the planet, be a mother for a day. To kick it up a notch, as famous chef Emeril Lagasse says, then mompreneurs know that a hectic schedule and being pressed for deadlines is the way to go.
Mompreneurs need to be reminded that being overworked and stressed will not make them more productive.
What is needed is a handful of relaxation methods that can be your stress relief in the course of a day. Working at home doesn’t have to be the most stressful venture that so many mothers working at home find it to be.
Here are 7 Ways to Relax for Mompreneurs and Work at Home Mons (WAHMs)
1. Find a happy retreat: This can be done mentally or physically, and some may find that this retreat time will have to be used sparingly with little ones running amok. Nonetheless, finding a place to retreat from the chaos where you can just “be” for a few minutes will help gather your thoughts.
Can’t get away? Then try one of many “guided imagery” techniques you can find online. This is a way to mentally retreat by using tranquil images you can conjure up anywhere.
2. Take regular vacations: Perhaps this is not possible at the outset, but make it a goal to take a regular vacation. These need to be planned well in advance for financial as well as business reasons, but having a regular down time will work wonders.
3. Take a breather: Literally. Learn some breathing techniques to slow your breathing and take deeper breaths when you need the relief. This will combat the urge to pant, which is usually a sign of stress or even anger. 3-5 long, slow, deep breaths will help combat stress and help you relax.
4. Laugh: “Laughter is the best medicine” sometimes. It might help you to watch a funny video online that is only a few minutes long, or to keep a bookmarked website where you can flip through a few short laughs when needed.
5. Mood music: Walk to the beat of a different drummer by changing the sound in your environment. Set the mood with the music you listen to, and consider surround sound with your favorite relaxing tunes.
6. Take the kids for a little stroll: This works great if you have a house dog, where you know your dog will want to get out to use the bathroom or get some exercise. Take your kids if you can for a stroll around your block, to a park, etc.
Making sure you do this regularly will help decompress your stressful situation.
7. Make a pot of Chamomile tea: Chamomile, or lavender-infused teas, will help you to relax a bit. Take a few minutes to boil the water and have a calming ritual of enjoying a cup. The tea itself soothes, but the entire ritual can be quite relaxing.
Whether work at home moms and mompreneurs have it “all figured out” or not when they begin their home-based businesses, one thing is guaranteed: workplace stress is reality. Having your kids around and the housekeeping that piles up, it’s stressful.
Don’t let stress get the better of you! Mompreneurs can burn out much easier than typical entrepreneurs because the stress comes at you from so many angles simultaneoulsy – but hang in there: you can do this.
If you need more ideas on how to avoid work at home mom blues & burnout, be sure to check out this invaluable article by clicking HERE.
I am going to take some of Christina’s advice to heart and step away from the keyboard for a few days. I wish the best to all of you during this Christmas season. Have a wonderful relaxing and organized holiday with your friends and family.