If you are a home-based business owner, count your blessings. You are providing opportunities for yourself and your family that are unavailable to 9 to 5ers. Research also indicates that productivity rises 15% to 25% when work is done at home vs. the office, and self-employed people are more productive than others. (Working from Home, by Paul & Sarah Edwards)
Here are five suggestions for boosting productivity if you work from home.
1. You can’t multitask between work and kids. Set office hours for yourself and arrange for assistance with your children during those hours.
2. Delegate, delegate, delegate. Outsource tasks you don’t have time for or don’t have desire to do. This is the key to success. Assign housework to family members or outside vendors. Hire professionals like a virtual assistant to support your business.
3. Hire your older children to work with you. You can supervise their work. They will learn more about what you do for a living and be a part of it.
4. Structure your day. You will need self-discipline to focus on only things that contribute to your business during office hours.
5. Take advantage of the flexibility that a home office provides. Set hours that are convenient for you and your family.