Another list from “Delivering Happiness” by Tony Hsieh, CEO of Zappos.
- Make customer service a priority for the whole company, not just a department. A customer service attitude needs to come from the top.
- Make WOW a verb that is part of your company’s everyday vocabulary.
- Empower and trust your customer service reps. Trust that they want to provide great service. . . because they actually do. Escalations to a supervisor should be rare.
- Realize that it’s okay to fire customers who are insatiable or abuse your employees.
- Don’t measure call times, don’t force employees to upsell, and don’t use scripts.
- Don’t hide your 1-800 number. It’s a message not just to your customers, but to your employees as well.
- View each call as an investment in building a customer service brand, not as an expense you’re seeking to minimize.
- Have the entire company celebrate great service. Tell stories of WOW experiences to everyone in the company.
- Find and hire people who are already passionate about customer service.
- Give great service to everyone: customers, employees, and vendors.
What does customer service mean to you? as a customer or business owner?