Do you know what personal documents you need to keep and for how long? It’s an issue that many people have. They don’t know, so they keep way more than necessary. A great list of 10 questions to assist in determining the correct answer for you is from Julie Morgenstern’s book, Time Management From The Inside Out.
THE TEN QUESTIONS
- Are there tax/legal reasons to keep it?
- Do I refer often to this piece of paper?
- Will it help me complete a project I am working on right now?
- Do I have time to do anything with this piece of paper?
- Does it tie in with the core activities of my job?
- Do I trust that the information is up to date?
- Does it represent a viable business opportunity?
- Will it help me make money?
- Would my work suffer if I didn’t have it?
- If I ever needed it again, could I easily get it from someone else?