It’s time to play a game.
I say this because it is time to organize the important documents in your life. This may require a scavenger hunt through your house, or hide and seek through your file cabinets, but if you can’t locate your Family’s Life Documents quickly and easily this is a must. Trust me, you’ll sleep better at night, once this organizing project is complete.
Depending on your situation, this task may take a short time or maybe the whole week. Give yourself as much time as necessary, but start today.
What are your Family’s Life Documents? Here is a list of what I recommend you consider vital documents and how long I suggest you keep them.
- Adoption papers Permanent
- Birth certificate Permanent
- Children’s grades Until graduation
- Citizenship papers Permanent
- Copy right/Patents Permanent
- Death certificate Permanent
- Diploma Permanent
- Divorce settlement Permanent
- Jury service Until next duty
- Letter of “Last Instructions” Permanent
- Life Insurance As long as you own
- Marriage certificate Permanent
- Military service Permanent
- Naturalization papers Permanent
- Passport Until receipt of renewed passport
- Pet papers For life of pet
- Power of Attorney Permanent
- Resume As long as current
- Social Security Permanent
- Travel incentive award Until expiration
- Trust document Until expiration or settlement
- Will Until settlement of all claims
If you missed week 29 of Get Organized in 2012 check it out here.