Writing things down will not necessarily mean that you will get them done. But activities, quickly written down into your planner have a GREATER chance of getting done. Checking things off your list has health benefits as well. Here are a few advantages to keeping a To Do List.
1. Document the things that must be done so they are not forgotten. Your memory may not reliable.
2. Clear your mind for other things. Trying to mentally keep track of things that have to be done makes it harder to concentrate on the task at hand.
3. Relieve anxiety. If you have that nagging fear that you may forget to do something. Writing it down will relieve you of the anxiety.
4. Force yourself to plan ahead. The process of thinking about what has to be done keeps you proactive.
5. Budget your time. Seeing everything that has to be done allows you to prioritize and allocate the most time to the more important tasks. Not having a To Do list leaves you vulnerable to spending too much time on trivial items.