It’s Coat Weather

The weather-man is describing today’s temperatures as frigid. It’s definitely coat weather outside. So I thought we could examine how you store your “often-used” coats.

I believe this is one place where the 80/20 rules applies. The average person wears 20% of their coats 80% of the time. That means that 80% of your coats you wear only 20% of the time. So, let me suggest that you weed-out the coats from the 80% what you didn’t wear at all last year. But, now let’s get to the other 20% . . .

Do you put away (hang up) your “often-used” coats when you are just going to put it back on the next time you leave the house? Maybe not. But, how do you keep your jackets handy without them becoming a cluttered pile at the front door? I always look to what is simple. If it’s easy/simple you are more likely to do it.

Here are a couple of ideas that won’t take up much space at the door. You won’t impede traffic flow if you go vertical with your storage and your coats will be at the ready when you are on your way out the door. Consider mounting a rack on that dead wall space behind the door.

Simple entryway. Vintage coat rack + chair. #decor #apartment

Simple entry coat rack from Design Sponge

DIY eames style coat rack

DIY Coat Rack from The Stir

If you have a little more space (or some space a little bit removed from your front door),  you might want to go with a traditional coat rack. Here are a couple of ideas that will add some character to your entry. They take up a bit of floor space, but often offer extra storage for umbrellas or shoes.

Powell Furniture Garden District Umbrella & Coat Rack

Coat rack from Wayfair

vintage-ski coat rack

Creative option from Dishfunctional Design

And of course, if you have the space for more storage that’s even better. Here are some options for the lucky folks who can create a landing area for purses, back packs, shoes and boots.

Entry cabinet / coat rack

Front entry storage from Custommade.com

A Better Coat Rack

Furniture transformation from BHG.com

Adding storage in your entry can make your home more functional for your family and more welcoming for guests.  Try this to make a quick difference during coat weather.

Advertisements

About Basic Organization

Basic Organization provides professional organizing services to busy families, business owners, down sizing seniors and the chronically disorganized. We can teach you the skills to get organized and live a more simplified life. By providing you with ideas, information, structure and solutions to help you regain control of your space, we can cure the chaos in you life!
This entry was posted in Residential Organizing, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to It’s Coat Weather

  1. Pingback: 15 Minute Organizing – The Coat Closet | Basic Organization

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s